Ok, with the help of the wonderful Liza & Melissa, our Children’s book experts, we came up with not 10, but 20 gift ideas for kids, separated by age group to make shopping even easier!
The Top 10 Gift Books for Kids & Tweens, Ages 8-12
First up, we have the top 10 books for those in-between kids, too old for picture books, but too young for general fiction or teen reads. These feature fun characters, quite a few laughs and adventures that will get even the most reluctant reader hooked.
1. Big Nate in a Class by Himself by Lincoln Peirce – If your kids love Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Calvin & Hobbes they will love Big Nate! (He is really awesome.)
2. The Trouble with Dilly by Rachna Gilmore – A touching story about a young girl who wants to help out a boy in need. It’s holiday-themed too!
3. Magnificent 12: The Call by Michael Grant – A laugh-out-loud story about a very medium boy who suddenly learns he’s destined to be a hero. This is the first book in a series so you could give a new book each holiday!
4. Guys Read: Funny Business edited by Jon Scieszka – 10 hilarious stories for boys who are looking for a laugh!
5. Walls Within Walls by Maureen Sherry – This book is just awesome for young readers who love mysteries and puzzles. It’s about three kids who discover that their new apartment is a giant puzzle that leads to fortune! Cool.
6. The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein – The fate of a magical kingdom is in the hands, well, paws, of an orphaned cat. In this book Epstein proves that magic isn’t just for wizards!
7. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman – This book is about a normal boy, who was raised in a graveyard. By ghosts. An amazing story from the renowned storyteller, Neil Gaiman.
8. Little House on the Prairie, 75th Anniversary Edition by Laura Ingalls Wilder, illustrated by Garth Williams – It’s time to introduce a whole new generation to Laura Ingalls Wilder’s beloved characters in the Little House series.
9. The My Weird School Collection by Dan Gutman, illustrated by Jim Paillot – This series is just plain fun. Kids will love all the quirky characters, from crazy Miss Daisy to Freaky Ms. Leaky!
10. Zombie Chasers by John Kloepfer – Three kids must save the world from brain-gobbling zombies… it’s like The Walking Dead, for kids!
Or for the younger group, we have the Top 10 Gift Books for Little Ones, Ages 3-7
These are picture books that little ones will love to read along with, with gorgeous illustrations, catchy or engaging text, and of course, lovable characters you’ll want to meet again and again:
1. 13 Words by Lemony Snicket, illustrated by Maira Kalman – Lemony Snicket can do no wrong when it comes to books for kids, and this latest title is fun, quirky and features gorgeous illustrations by Maira Kalman.
2. Knuffle Bunny Free by Mo Willems – Part of the beloved Knuffle Bunny series, this book will touch the hearts of both children and parents.
3. My Mommy Hung the Moon by Jamie Lee Curtis, illustrated by Laura Cornell – A beautiful story of the unconditional love between a mother and child. Moms, you’re gonna love this one!
4. Bedtime for Bear by Brett Helquist – An adorable book about a little bear who’s trying to sleep this winter, but his friends keep calling him out to play.
5. Fancy Nancy’s Fabulous Fashion Boutique by Jane O’Connor, illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser – This is a wonderful book for little girls who love to get all dressed up! In fact, any book in the Fancy Nancy series would make a great gift this Christmas.
6. Willoughby and the Moon by Greg Foley – Willoughby goes in search of the moon, and finds it in a surprising place! This is a fun story about facing your fears and features a great lesson for little ones.
7. Rescue Bunnies by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Scott Menchin – Newbie is the newest Rescue Bunny trainee. She’s passed almost every test, but the next one is the hardest! This little bunny will capture your heart.
8. Harmony by HRH The Prince of Wales – This is the kid’s companion to HRH The Prince of Wales’ new adult book, Harmony. It sends an important message to kids about how we can live in harmony with nature, and change the future of the planet.
9. My Garden by Kevin Henkes – This is beautiful, colourful book about what one little girl would grow in her garden. Great for kids with big imaginations!
10. Instructions by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Charles Vess – The renowned storyteller guides young travelers safely through their journey, and back home again. A great bedtime story.
There you have it! The best books to give this Christmas, to any kid on your list. The bonus? Books are easy to wrap, fun to give, and much more entertaining than the usual Christmas sweater or socks!
Did we miss your favourite? Let me know!