Hello December! It’s that time of the year again. Time to get out your woolly hat, mittens, and socks, and dig out your old winter boots and heavy winter coat. Here are a few great books and book events to keep you warm this winter season!
1) This Dark Endeavour has won Quill & Quire’s Book of the Year for Young People. The 2011 Governor General’s Literary Award finalist, This Dark Endeavour by Kenneth Oppel tells the early-life of young Victor Frankenstein. Click here for more details.
2) This week SNL star Darrell Hammond author of God If You’re Not Up, I’m F*cked, was interviewed by Jian Ghomeshi on CBC Radio Q. Click here to listen to what Hammond has to say about the abuse he experienced as a child and the destructive behaviour that followed him into adulthood, including cutting and drug abuse.
3) This past Saturday, The Globe and Mail published the Globe’s Top 100 Books of 2011. On this list includes some great titles including David Bezmozgis’ The Free World, S.J. Watson’s Before I Go to Sleep, and Andrew Westoll’s The Chimps of Fauna Sanctuary. Click here to find out which other titles made the top 100 list.
4) In upcoming events news, Regis Philbin host of Live ! with Regis and Kathy Lee and Live! with Regis and Kelly, and author of How I Got This Way will be at the Indigo Manulife Centre in Toronto at 7pm this coming Tuesday, December 6th.
5) Booklist Editor’s Choice of 2011, Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler and Maira Kalman
tells the story of the tragic break-up of a young and unlikely high school couple. Check out this new project featuring break-up stories from readers around the world, including celebrities Neil Gaiman, Sarah Shepard, and Brian Selznick. Click here to read the break-up stories and to add you own!
Happy December everyone! Time to start holiday shopping.