We’re all book lovers here. We know how it feels to see a really great book brought to life on the movie screen. The characters you pictured, the scenes you read every word of, all laid out before your eyes. Over the next year we have 10 books that are getting the full big screen treatment (ok, some of these are just rumoured…) and we can’t wait to see how they turn out.
Here are the books you should pick up and read, before the movie comes out:
1. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore – It’s an action-packed story from Pittacus Lore about an extraordinary teen on the run. The movie stars Alex Pettyfer and Dianne Agron, aka. Quinn from Glee, and looks like it’s going to be a smash-hit. Watch the trailer here. In theatres February 18th.
2. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen — It’s a love story (aww), set in a traveling circus (ooh!). The adaptation stars are Robert Pattison and Reese Witherspoon. Great cast, beautiful trailer, and the book has one of those magical qualities that you hope will be brought to life on the big screen. Watch the trailer.
3. Beastly by Alex Flinn – It’s a modern-day retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and is a great pick for teens. The movie stars Alex Pettyfer, so definitely watch to see how they could possibly transform him into a beastly creature. Plus, Neil Patrick Harris is in it too! Watch the trailer.
4. War by Sebastian Junger – For one year Junger accompanied 30 men in the US Army as they fought their way through Afghanistan. Junger and Tim Hetherington filmed their journey wit the troops for the documentary, Restrepo, nominated for an Oscar this year.
5. Labor Day by Joyce Maynard – The beautiful story of a young, friendless 13-year-old boy, his divorced mother, and a mysterious stranger. Rumour has it, this book will be adapted into a movie by Juno director Jason Reitman.
6. Girl Crazy by Russell Smith – A college teacher’s obsession with a young woman? Sounds like movie material to me! Fans of Smith’s Girl Crazy will be happy to hear that production on the movie-version of this book is expected to begin this year, and in Toronto too!
7. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver – Shriver’s story about a mother whose teenage son goes on a high school killing spree is one of the most disturbing, thought-provoking books I have ever read. The movie, out later this year, is set to star Tilda Swinton and, though I know it’s going to be tough movie to watch, I sure am excited.
8. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein – Told through the eyes of the lovable dog Enzo, this is a reflection on his life with the Swift family. Heart-wrenching and funny, it’s big-screen adaptation is set to star Patrick Dempsey. Warning: this might (will) be a tear-jerker.
9. Town House by Tish Cohen – Cohen’s novel about a ‘70s rock icon heir trying to hold onto his home and his son. Fox 2000 swooped in to pre-empt the film rights to Town House and there’s talk of Hangover star Zach Galifianakis playing the lead role. This is one quirky book that is sure to be a charming movie.
10. First Step 2 Forever: My Story by Justin Bieber – The book: It’s the story of Justin Bieber, as told by Justin Bieber. The movie: Never Say Never. It’s in 3D, Bieber on the big screen, enough said. The book and movie might not be quite the same, but they’re both focused on the teen heartthrob so they make the list. (Plus, I really needed a #10… and people just love Bieber!) Watch the trailer.
There you go! Which movies are you most excited to see? Or, which book do you wish was on this list?
Follow me on twitter @shanparsons