Here are 10 books that will help you live a greener life, on Earth Day and every day. You’ll learn about the environment, climate change, problems in the animal world, and, most importantly, what you can do to help.
1. Here on Earth by Tim Flannery — Here, Tim Flannery, bestselling author of The Weather Makers, charts the history of life on our planet. Flannery also looks ahead to the fate of our planet and what our relationship with nature could be. This is one book that will change the way you view our world.
2. Straphanger by Taras Grescoe — Grescoe analyzes how subways, buses, and other forms of public transit are saving our cities from being overrun by cars. This is a must-read for anyone who commutes, lives in the city, or for anyone who is concerned about the future of transit.
3. 100 Under 100 by Scott Leslie — Here, Leslie profiles 100 different species on the brink of extinction, giving readers a fascinating and heartbreaking look at the animals that might not be here tomorrow.
4. Pot It Up by Frankie Flowers — Looking to make your life a little greener this Earth Day? Head out to the garden with Frankie Flowers! In Pot It Up, Frankie tells you everything you need to know about container gardening.
5. The Chimps of Fauna Sanctuary by Andrew Westoll – Westoll recently won the Charles Taylor Prize for Non-Fiction for this moving look inside the walls of a sanctuary for chimps rescued from animal testing facilities. This is a must-read for animal lovers.
6. Fancy Nancy: Every Day is Earth Day by Jane O’Connor — Here’s a great I Can Read book that will help teach your children about Earth Day.
7. Locavore by Sarah Elton — Elton explores how Canadians are changing the way they eat to incorporate many different foods grown and produced right here in Canada. The ebook is on sale right now for $2.99!
8. Cascadia’s Fault by Jerry Thompson — Jerry Thompson studies the devastating earthquake that could, or, in Thompson’s opinion, will, occur off the coast of Vancouver Island in the Cascadia Subduction Zone. The new paperback edition also includes an afterword about the 2011 Tohoku Disaster.
9. Keeping the Bees by Laurence Packer — Packer’s life revolves around bees. Here, he shows the importance of bees, the dangers bees are facing right now as a species, and what we can do to help. This book will show you why we need bees! Buy the ebook for only $2.99.
10. Harmony by Charles HRH The Prince of Wales — His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales sends an inspiring message about how we can change the course of environmental destruction by living in harmony with nature. It’s also available as a picture book for kids!
Happy Earth Day!
Do you know other books that will help us all live a greener life? Let me know in the comments!
Follow me on twitter @SavvyReader