Happy Friday, Savvy Readers! We hope you had a wonderful week, and are ready to catch up on all your book related news!
1. Nominations were announced recently for the Atlantic Book Awards. Anna From Away by D. R MacDonald has been shortlisted for the Jim Connors Dartmouth Book Award. The Jim Connors Dartmouth Book Award recognizes Nova Scotia literature and the valuable contributions writers make to our cultural heritage. All winners will be announced at the 2013 Atlantic Book Awards and Festival held on May 16, in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Good luck, D.R.!
2. As the end of March is fast approaching, so to, is the end of HCC’s March Madness. After some shocking eliminations in the last couple of weeks, the pool was narrowed down to the final four competitors. The titles still in the running are: The Giving Tree, A Walk Across the Sun, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Where The Wild Things Are. With them all currently neck and neck, it is anyone’s guess who will be crowned the winner of HCC’s March Madness in two weeks! Use the hashtag #HCCMM on social media to support your favourite titles and remember to vote every day… time is running out!
3. Canadian boxing legend George Chuvalo was awarded recently with a key to the city where he was born and raised – Toronto. At the ceremony, Chuvalo detailed fond memories of his career that began with his first fight at age ten, and include two fights against Muhammad Ali. These days, Chuvalo and his wife are big advocates in the fight against drugs – having been personally devastated by their effects. Be sure to check out George’s book, Chuvalo: A Fighter’s Life, landing in bookstores fall 2013.
4. Last week, the cover for bestselling author Amy Tan’s new book, The Valley of Amazement was revealed. This is a long-awaited novel, but if the cover is any indication of what the book will be like, the wait will definitely be worth it! The Valley of Amazement is set to hit shelves in late 2013. Until then, we’ll just have to make due with the beautiful cover!
5. Now, a little something fun for everyone and for any occasion! The great people over at bookriot.com have put together this awesome collection of book themed cakes. Whether you are celebrating your own birthday, feeling nostalgic for days gone by, having a Harry Potter themed party, or perhaps just celebrating the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice with your book club, there is a cake for every occasion! Our personal favourite should be eaten on a dark and stormy night, while a raven sits on our fence post. Do you have any amazing book inspired cakes you’d love to share?
Erin and Ashley.