It’s Friday, and you know what Douglas Adams has to say about that:
“You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg. It’s quite a simple difference, but an important one. Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken.”
– In The Salmon of Doubt
1. Savvy Reader Book Club. Remember that book club meeting you didn’t prepare for? Although your friends forgave you, you don’t want a repeat of that experience, I’m sure. Never fear, The Savvy Reader has got you covered! We are very excited about the launch of our new Savvy Reader Book Club! To start things off with a bang, our first pick is The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Visit the Savvy Reader Book Club site here where you will find discussion questions, reviews, supplementary material, and recipes to help enrich your book club experience. So, even if you’ve had a busy week and your book club meeting has snuck up on you (is it Friday already?!), there is still time to wow your friends!
2. The Innocents TV Show. Francesca Segal’s award winning novel The Innocents is coming to life in a TV show from – brace yourself – the creators of Downton Abbey! Carnival Films confirmed that a television adaptation of The Innocents is in development – read more about the new show here. If you haven’t yet read The Innocents, it’s time to pick it up! Based loosely on Edith Wharton’s The Age of Innocence, The Innocents explores scandal amidst the upper classes in 1870’s New York juxtaposed with the modern-day Jewish community in north-west London. A compelling, elegant read, it is no surprise that we at the Savvy Reader are excited for the upcoming TV show!
3. David Bergen wins the Carol Shields Winnipeg book award for Age of Hope. Congratulations to David Bergen who took home the Carol Shields Winnipeg book award at the Manitoba Book Awards gala this past Sunday, April 28th! For the details and a list of all the winners, click here. If The Age of Hope is not yet on your “must read” list, it should be – in fact, make sure it is at the top of that ever-growing pile of books you intend to read!
4. Don’t forget to appreciate your mother! This is your official reminder: Mother’s Day is on Sunday, May 12th. Have you picked up the perfect gift yet? If not, don’t worry: The Savvy Reader has your back. Check out our top picks for Mom this Mother’s day.
5. Spring is here! OK, so while this is not technically news, given the delayed start to warm weather this year, I think it is worth mentioning. I don’t know about you, but I am headed out this weekend to purchase some deck chairs so I can do my reading while soaking up the sun! Check out these #1 bestselling books to help keep you on the patio this weekend.
Follow me on twitter: @KeriannMcGoogan