long weekend noun. a weekend holiday extended by a day or days on either side (Collins online dictionary)
Boy, I like the sound of that – an extended holiday. And we’re in luck, Savvy Readers, the Victoria Day long weekend is upon us! But before you rush outside to rev up the BBQ, it’s time to catch up on this week’s book events with our weekly bookmarks.
1. Kenneth Oppel’s Such Wicked Intent named a Red Maple Honour book. A long weekend means the kids are home on Monday, so why not eep them busy by picking up Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel? This fabulous gothic thriller was named a Red Maple Honour Book this past week. Oppel collected his well-deserved award in front of a crowd of cheering kids at Toronto’s Harbourfront Centre. The Red Maple Award is presented by the Ontario Library Association to authors writing at the Grade 7-8 level, who have been published in the last two years. The best part of this award? The winner is selected by none other than Ontario’s young readers.
2. Anticipated book-to-movie adaptations. So many of the best movies are based on books. This long weekend, use all that extra time to prepare for some of the upcoming and highly anticipated book-to-movie adaptations. First, if you haven’t already, it is high time to pick up Veronica Roth’s Divergent; then check out this teaser photo released from on-set of the upcoming Divergent movie in Chicago. As well, add S.J. Watson’s Before I Go To Sleep to your weekend reading pile – the film is coming in 2014 and you can check out the movie poster here to see some of the film’s star-studded cast. Finally, Ben Affleck has signed on to star in the movie adaptation of Dennis Lehane’s exciting crime thriller Live By Night, which is currently in preproduction.
3. The Bling Ring author interview. If, on your long-weekend excursions, you happen to walk past a group of teenagers that looks a little too well-dressed, maybe they’re wearing some expensive jewelry, suspiciously carrying some high profile artwork – it just might be the Bling Ring. In her much-anticipated new book The Bling Ring, Nancy Jo Sales tells the story of a group of privileged teens who were caught stealing millions of dollars’ worth of valuables from Hollywood’s elite. Check out the Bling Ring author interview for more information about this fascinating story.
4. Isabelle LaFleche giveaway. It’s about an eight hour flight from Toronto to Paris. So, sadly, Paris is probably not in the cards this long weekend. In lieu of a trip to Paris, how about the next best thing: Isabelle LaFleche’s fabulous new novel, J’adore Paris, the perfect way to transport yourself to Champs-Elysées, Montmarte, and the river Seine. Enter our Isabelle LaFleche giveaway for a chance to win a copy of J’adore Paris and an adorable fashion-inspired purse.
5. 65 Books to Read in Your 20s (but we think they’re great for any age!). I don’t know about you, Savvy Readers, but after a long weekend, I feel like I am twenty again. Harness that feeling by checking out this list of 65 books to read in your 20s. Whether you are young, or just young at heart, this list includes many must-reads.
Looks like your weekend may be busier than you thought, huh? Enjoy!
Follow me on twitter @KeriannMcGoogan