Happy Friday, Savvy Readers! Looking for your weekly fix of bookish news? You’ve come to the right place! We’ve gathered some of our favourite news, articles, and links for you to read now or ‘bookmark’ for later!
1. The 2015 Scotiabank Giller Prize longlist was announced this Wednesday! Steven Beattie wrote in the Quill & Quire that this may be one of the most interesting lists in the prize’s history, and you can find out why in our recap post here! (I was so excited to see Outline by Rachel Cusk and Daydreams of Angels by Heather O’Neill on the list!)
2. Speaking of prizes, Kenneth Oppel‘s The Boundless is nominated for the Monica Hughes Award for Science Fiction and Fantasy! See the rest of the 2015 Canadian Children’s Book Centre Awards finalists here. (We can’t wait for you to read Kenneth‘s new book The Nest on September 29th!)
3. The much-anticipated new novel by Lawrence Hill, author of The Book of Negroes, was released this week! The Illegal is a timely book inspired by the struggles of undocumented refugees. Read Cory‘s full review of it here and add it to your 50 Book Pledge To Read Shelf here!
4. TIFF (or, the Toronto International Film Festival) is in town, and we can’t wait to see Room, the book-to-movie adaptation of Emma Donoghue‘s bestselling book of the same name! You can get your tickets for next week’s showing here. Which films are you excited to see at TIFF, Savvy Readers?
5. And lastly, just because it’s back-to-school time doesn’t mean we have to stop traveling! One of the best parts about being a reader is being able to travel all across the world right in the comfort of your favourite reading nook. Yearning for adventure? Buzzfeed Books compiled a list of 32 Books That Are Guaranteed to Give You Wanderlust.
That’s it from us this week! Do you have any fun news stories to share? We’d love to hear about them on Twitter @SavvyReader or in the comments below!
Follow me on Twitter @karenfma.