Hey, Savvy Readers! The year has only just begun and it’s already off to a great start. Exciting new releases, movie adaptations and the return of our annual #50BookPledge… It looks like 2019 is going to be THE year for book lovers. In this week’s Bookmarks we cover all the latest and greatest in bookish news.
1. Book-to-movie adaptations are having a moment
There’s nothing like getting to see your favourite characters come to life on the big screen! While the book is usually better (obviously) there’s always a chance that the film will add something new to a beloved story. On that note, the CBC has put together a list of exciting book-to movie adaptations coming out this year. See the list here and tell us if you’re planning on watching any these films in 2019.
2. Hundreds of literary works enter public domain in the U.S.A
They say the best things in life are free. Well, we’re in luck because, for the first time in 20 years, the U.S. government has released thousands of works, produced in 1923, into public domain! This includes a treasure trove of literary classics by the likes of E.L Montgomery, Kahlil Gibran, P.G. Wodehouse, Agatha Christie, and D.H. Lawrence (and many, many more). Way to start the year off on a good note! Check out the full list here.
3. UK’s Costa Book Award winners announced!
3. Congratulations to all the winners of the UK’s annual Costa Book Awards! In particular, we are super thriller that The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton is among the winners. As I’m sure many of you remember, we absolutely loved this book and think it’s so deserving of this award! Did any of your top reads make the list? Let us know in the comments! For more information on the Costa Book Awards, click here.
4. Tip and tricks on reaching your reading goals
Reading over 200 books a year may sound like witchcraft to most people but believe it or not that’s the average number of books read by Emily May – Goodreads’ #1 reviewer! With close to 150,000 followers, 1500 reviews, and over 5100 books shelved, Emily is constantly reading (and reviewing) books all year round. In an interview with Bustle, Emily reveals tips for hitting your reading resolutions, and maybe even avoiding the dreaded reading slump (gasp). Read the full interview here.
That’s all for Bookmarks this week. Heard any more book news we missed? Share it with us in the comments below or on Twitter @SavvyReader!